The business world is cruel with cutthroat competition. It is not for the weak hearted and you have to do whatever it takes to get to the top and stay at that position of power.
This is true for any financial organization, be it Wall Street, the stock market or the banking sector.
A place where money is given the highest priority, it is the toughest of the toughest that survive.
- Done deals: The business world is an uncertain world. So full of risks. And even ‘done deals’ and ‘sure things’ can fall apart at the last minute.
- Hurt feelings: Like mentioned before, it is not for the thin-skinned and weak-minded. Your feelings will get hurt, and if you’re going to keep complaining and throwing tantrums, this isn’t the place for you.
- Natural selection: Similar to Darwin’s theory of natural selection, imagine a natural selection for the business domain. If you can’t stay focused and keep calm during stressful situations, you’re not going to survive. You have to find a way to fight against all the odds and coming out on top.
- Bigger picture: Stay focused on the bigger picture. Things will go wrong. In fact, it’ll happen at least once a day. If you keep panicking for small catastrophes, you’re going to burn out because of the stress. Stay calm and don’t get hindered if things don’t go according to the plan.
- Fine print: In the business world, reading the fine print is important. A handshake doesn’t signify a done deal. In fact, nothing does, unless it is in writing in front of you. Also, do NOT sign any agreement or contract that you do not understand. Ask all the questions before actually signing the document.
- Play to win: The business world is brutal and sometimes (most of the time) not fair. Play to win, and be fair. Don’t compromise on your ideals. Once you’ve done your bit, the rest of the plan will fall into place.
- Rejection: Rejection should be handled with grace. And rejection is something that will always occur. Life isn’t fair, especially the business world and we all get short-handed one time or the other. It’s not the end of the world and there is no use whining and complaining about it. At least not at work. Vent and rant all you want to your friends but make sure it stays inside your social circle.
- Mistakes: Learn from your mistakes and experiences and handle it better next time.
Everyone gets the biggest break of their career one point or the other. Make sure you follow all the rules as for when required and fly under the radar so as to not attract attention to yourself.
Because there will always be people in higher positions of power trying to undermine other people.
So strength is an important and essential attribute that is required if you wish to make a niche for yourself in the business world.
Working hard and believing in yourself are two points to keep in mind while having a career. Whether you’re an intern or a pro in your field of work.